Monday, March 06, 2006

Will I? Won't I? I don't know...

I have been reading a lot about the Blank Noise Project lately. Makes me think. Really think hard...

I think about why men harass women so much, and why it is such a pervasive phenomenon in India, and whether it would ever change, and what it would take for the change to be brought about. I don't think I know the answers to these questions.

All I know is that I would like to be able to listen to Gina tell me some day that she really enjoyed her evening walk, and that nobody troubled her, and that no middle aged men followed her around on motorbikes.

I would like not to have to hear how a man threatened to hit her when she confronted him about some lewd comments he passed. On frigging M G Road! I would like to hear that people actually came to her defence.

I would like not to have to read about Hemangini Gupta wishing about being able to enjoy walking through the streets of Indian cities.

But the thing I would really like to be able to do is to stand up and help a woman who needs help, if and when the time comes. I would like not to have to get into a situation like that as I don't condone violence and also because I am very short tempered, but I know it is inevitable. I hope that I am able to do what I want to be able to do when the time comes, and not chicken out.

If you, dear reader, would also like to make a change, you could. Help someone in need of help. Somone else may help someone you care for, in turn. It will definitely not solve the problem, but it will be a start.

9 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thought. I share your feelings, though I've never ever seen a damsel in distress.

How is it that the links that you provided don't work, though I'm sure you put them there just a few hours back?

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

Nicely written. Yep, it would be nice to have at least Pune return to its status as a town that is very safe for girls...

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

Shrik: I think we need to look harder. With so many women complaining about harassment, it must be all around us. Links are working now. I think Blogger was having a bad day when you browsed.

Senthil: Yeah, it would. Let's hope...

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. Nice links. And racked my brains and realized that I actually was with a d.i.d. once, and that too in Pune. But then, we were so hopelessly outnumbered that calm retreat seemed the only way out. Looking back, I still do not think I could have handled it any other way. Things are a bit hopeless on that front.

Although this does not excuse it in any way, I also think we are a nation of starers. A friend of mine once visited India and remarked how everyone stared at him (yes, him!) And he was an NRI to boot, so looked completely like any other Indian. So maybe we RIs, at least the guys, have grown so used to the stares that we don't notice them any more?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Cee Kay said...

I still remember the days when I used to live in India. *shudder* It stinks to be a woman in India - my personal, rather strong opinion.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey,
Completely agree with your post anurag...and thats what freedome is abt...not let anyone violate ur space..even if it is as simple as being able to walk on the road without being abused in any way

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot to mention that I slapped that guy on MG road twice.

You know, there is plenty to be upset about but speaking strictly for myself, I've had a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't have had a quarter of a century back. For example, the place I work at has no discrimination against women and most, if not all, men in my organization respect women.

And my inner circle of friends has the most evolved men I've ever known.

And well, Anurag, most of all, I've a guy like you who treats everyone alike and applies the same standards for them.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Renu Vyas said...

I am a first timer here, enjoyed ur blog :)Pune..a city I love.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Gina Oswal said...

Anurag

I absolutely feel that every woman on some level feels what you have said..

I was in Pune in january this year. And disappointingly I didn't see any change when it comes to the safety of a woman. In fact I felt that it had gotten worse!

Living in far distant land one tends to become more interested in whats happening in one's country/mother land. The economy boom...west going frenzy over changes taking place in India...and all such kind of hype is always talked/written about. But when it gets down to such a basic fundamental right of personal safety for women..then where the hell are WE?

I personally feel We - the people need to take stern & consistent steps to coerce the authorities in power to come out with strictest laws for such kind of crime and more importantly make sure that they are well implemented. So that anti social elements in the making would actually be scared to their death to even think about committing such a ghastly act!

Gina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home