Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Man with no name

A person who I am a great fan of is Clint Eastwood. Some people say he couldn't act very well. Well, maybe not. But he was (still is) cool. He walked with abandon, he kept his head at an angle where he looked confident without being cocky and he used to look at everything through narrow slits of his eyes which I found extremely stylish, and the way he held that cigar in his mouth while he did everything added more class.

I have sketched many of his posters. But my favourite is the water colour painting below, which is a reproduction of this image from his man with no name series of movies.





I am not sure of the exact date for this one, but I think I did it in the summer of 1998 or 1999. This one is different from the painting of Jimmy Page (in the previous post) because I have used shades of gray here, to get more depth.

I actually got some real nasty comments on both these paintings from a visitor to an online gallery once. He thought that I was trying to pass these works off as original paintings. I don't make any such claims. These paintings are reproductions of existing pictures, and I have cited original sources. Still, I would like to pose a question here -- do you think reproduction of images the way I do it (or in any other way, for that matter) is acceptable under the aegis of artistic license or not? Fire away with those opinions.

Adios amigos.

9 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

Again, very nice painting indeed! IMPO, copying from a picture (taken by camera) is not easier than a portrait! Keep up the good work!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Senthil said...

Hey, this one is pretty good, too, though my personal favourite still is your rendition of Jimmy Page.
I do not have much too much personal experience with water colours, but I have noticed that details like the lines on Eastwood's face (something that Sergio Leone always brought out into amazing relief in his movies - I have often tried to squint into the sunlight in the hope that one day I'll have similar crow's feet) are better brought out with oil paints.
As for your question on originality, I disagree with your visitor - a lot of famous artists have created imitations of existing paintings... so yes, your painting, as far as I'm concerned, can definitely be placed under 'art'. Paint away!
And I noticed you've resized Jimmy Page... :)

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger eM said...

i liked the jimmy page better too.. but this one is very nice also!
do you do any "self compostion" type stuff?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

Another great painting! I think the fact that you cite the source gives you creative license.

BTW: I kept getting an error script each time I tried to comment in the last 2 days.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Varun: Thanks a lot. I see at your blog that you are interested in photography as well. Do you have a camera?

Senthil: You are right. Water colours are not suited for portraits at all. Oil paints are a better bet for that.

eM: I don't have too many of self composed paintings. I am not good enough for that. I did recently paint something based on a photograph I had shot earlier. Will post it someday.

Mint C: Thanks. I wonder why you were getting such an error. Some bug with blogger, I guess.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Awesome stuff dude !! We seem to be fans of similar things in life ! Or is that almost all men are Eastwood and Led Zeppelin fans ?!?!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

Hey Anurag, I don't have a camera (though I'm planning to get one). My room-mate has Canon Powershot S1. My skills in photography are quite limited, I mostly take them by intuition.
Thanks for asking anyway, I'll upload few pics soon. I've a link to imagestation on my blog, check it out sometime.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Vignesh: No, I don't think everyone like Led Zep. But Clint Eastwood is easy to like.

Varun: Buy an SLR camera if you are really interested in photography.

Elf: Thanks. Yes, you did make sense. I personally think there is nothing wrong in trying to duplicate something as long as you add something of your own, or if you acknowledge that it is just a duplicate. As for morning walks, I am no morning person myself -- I always run in the evenings. So maybe you should start with evening walks.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

refernces are needed to perfect the skill.. n once that's done.. isn't it upto the artist to paint with or without refernces? isn't reproduction of art still art? won't the artist still feel like creating summin he likes or loves, even if its reproduction? n aren't landscapes, portraits, live drawings reproductions of the beautiful garbage in this world?
like your work. just paint what u like :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home