Tuesday, May 31, 2005

First post from my Linux laptop

I got a new laptop. I did something which I thought was very courageous -- I tried installing Fedora Core 3 on one of the latest laptops in the market. Two years back when I tried installing Redhat 8.0 on the Dell workstations I bought, I had great difficulty in getting the most basic things to work. I was not looking forward to that experience again, but that's the only logical step for me financially.

But I was in for a surprise. I could not only install everything in the first go, all the devices are supported very well for Fedore Core 3, including USB plug and play devices, touch pad, ATI Radeon graphics card, and what not. Furthermore, I could very easily find Yahoo messenger, Real Player 10, and many other supporting software on the internet.

It comes with pre-packaged Firefox browser, Thunderbird email utility, and OpenOffice.org suite of office functionalities. So, without having to pay for anything, I have a machine which can do almost everything a Windows system can do, except make money for Bill Gates.

Now, I am not anti-Windows, but I love Linux. Long live open source software development.

10 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have had good experience with fedora+ dell, but more in a server environment. never used open office, because i have always managed to get a "free" copy of windows from somewhere or the other.

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! fedora core 3 rocks, man! and hey! and hey! linux can do much MORE than windows EVER can. ;)
long live OSS!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

Welcome to the machine, brother. I got mine a few weeks ago, had a devil of a time getting a Net connection (blogged about that profusely too). But now that everything's in place, the inconveniences are all forgotten!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger kalpana said...

i'll start by confessing i didn't read ur blog... or rather i got lost somewhere in between the second and the third word. just wanted to say hi and ask what ur up to. bumped into ur blog form shami's. keep in touch, say hi to gina and pls write something ignorants like moi can understand:)

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Egad ! Reminds me of the time I tried to stick RH8 into a windows partition on my Thinkpad. The damn thing tried to write grub into the MBR, windows didn't like it... and I had to get really down adn dirty with GRUB to get the damn thing to boot into either OS again. Eventually had to send it into IBM for reimaging :((

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

Munna: you see I run a company and don't want to deal with any pirated software for obvious reasons. So I will stick to Open Office.

Mandar: Right on.

Jabberwock: After the teething period, it sure is fun to have a laptop, I must agree. I did read your post about internet connection fiasco. My sympathies...

Kalpana: Hey, how are you? Any plans to come to Pune sometime soon? I'll tell Gina you said Hi.

Satya: You must. It is great fun to lose all you mails when you transition. :))

Vignesh: I completely know how you must have felt. The other day I was playing around with RH8 installation and trying to install XP on another partition when I lost everything. I had to actually reconstruct the GRUB loader. Luckily I had another machine whose GRUB loader I could copy. :))) I did feel like Einstein after that, though. Then I lost all my mails and went back to feeling like a chimp.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Cee Kay said...

Hey congrats for your laptop!! I got mine too - from work. Busy playing with it. Will blog when I am done....

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Vishnupriya said...

hi!! thx for stopping by my blog. and i take back what i said about ALL men being shallow ;)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Sonal said...

Yes,Open src to go a long way...
"I have a machine which can do almost everything a Windows system can do, except make money for Bill Gates.
ROTFL... :-)
came thru Mandar's blog, enjoyed reading it esp. ur intro abt urself :-)

 
At 1:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home