Monday, June 27, 2005

Psychoanalyst fails the Turing test

Dilip wrote an article about AI and thinking computers, in his post about the Turing test. Upon reading it, I remembered that XEmacs (which is my default editor because of all the terrific features which are loaded into it) comes with an inbuilt Psychoanalyst game. It had been a long time since I played it, so I gave it a shot. The outcome was hilarious. See for yourself. Entries in Cyan represent the Pshycho(analyst) while Orange statements are mine. I tried to behave like an angry person. Great fun, I should do it more often.

I am the psychotherapist. Please, describe your problems. Each time
you are finished talking, type RET twice.
I am depressed.
Are you depressed often?
No.
Why not?
I just am not!
Why do you say you just are not?
Because I just am not! Jeez!!
Is it because you just are not jeez that you came to me?
Surely not.
Earlier you said you felt depressed?
Yes, you moron.
Maybe your plans have something to do with this.
No, my plans are fine...
Is it because of your life that you say your plans are fine?
No, because I possess enough intelligence to know when things have
worked according to plans and when they have not.
Does it bother you that you possess enough intelligence to know when
things have worked according to plans and when they have not?
No, that is the least of my worries.
When did you first know that is the least of your worries?
Go to hell, you quack!
I would appreciate it if you would watch your tongue!
YOU watch your tongue.
You mentioned that you just are not jeez?
No, Einstein, that is one of the side remarks.
Is the fact that is one of the side remarks the real reason?
I'm out of here.
Is it because of the people you hang around with that you are going
through all this?
Bye.
My secretary will send you a bill.
Yeah, but I won't pay any bills.
Does the fact that you will not pay any bills explain anything else?
You figure it out, genius.
What makes you believe I figure it out genius?
Exactly.
Can you elaborate on that?
Bye.
Bye bye.

11 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is funny. i will try it too.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

Anurag, you not only made me laugh out loud, you made me pine for my own Emacs and Unix and AI and Eliza (what one of these pseudo-therapist systems was called) days. Now I shall HAVE to beat up on you on the tennis court...

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger sameer said...

LOL. This one is the best:

"Does it bother you that you possess enough intelligence to know when
things have worked according to plans and when they have not?"

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is hillarious! I've never been an emacs fan (Vim does fine for me) but have played the adventure game on emacs!

Now I'm convinced that AI has a long long way to go.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Nimbus said...

That was too funny! And like Dilip said, it brought back fond memories of Emacs .. *sniffle* Aaya mujhe phir yaad vo zaalim guzra zamaana .. and stuff like that.

Thank you for the visit to the blog and the comment! Shall provide date and time for the raindance soon. Please to watch my commentspace for more details.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Vignesh said...

Hehe ! I used to have quite some fun with Eliza in the past... the chaos Lisp programmers like to create !

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! that was some fun.
thanks for the link to dilip's post. will check it out. seems interesting!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Munna: go right ahead.

Dilip: Unix rocks. I hate using the mouse too much. And there is something so subtly empowering about using shell scripts and makefiles. :)) Did you mean to say that you will not have to beat me to the tennis court? I thought so. :))

Kafka: Welcome.

Vishnu: I've heard Vim has come a very long way. I started with Vim too, but moved onto XEmacs when I came to know that, on Solaris, you could actually hook the debugger to XEmacs. Made development very easy.

Megha: What! You mean you don't use Emacs now? Go on, make amends and download right now.

Vignesh: LISP -- Lots of Inane Silly Parentheses.

Mandar: You are welcome.

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried this one. It's funny at first, but gets boring after a while.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Cee Kay said...

Funny!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Rajesh J Advani said...

Nice :)

I prefer GNU Emacs, though. Don't ask me why :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home