Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Lakshmi road excursion

I was a handsome man in my youth. My chest size was nine inches more than my waist size, not very much unlike Madonna (though my figure was less three-dimensional, I must admit), but without the journalistic scrutiny. Then, I discovered beer. Before I knew, United Breweries was rich enough to launch their own Kingfisher airline, all from my well earned and well spent money. All that beer did have some effect on me. I am a very selfless man, wanting little for myself, but my body didn't think the same way -- it extracted fat from all that beer and stored it around my belly for a dry day. Now, normally I don't tolerate interference when it comes to my body, but this was an instance of my body interfering with my body, and the problem was so complicated that it made my head hurt and I had to drink some more beer to start thinking straight. Then an idea came to me like Arjun, Shrik and Senti come to my apartment on Friday nights -- I was going to stop drinking for a while, get my Madonna figure back, show my body who was in charge of my body, and then continue drinking beer as if nothing had happened. Brilliant, huh? Didn't think me capable of such cunning skullduggery and devious planning, did you? Well, there's just one little snag in the plan -- I used to spend majority of my free time drinking beer. With all that extra time at my hands, what was I going to do?

The solution was nearby. In a drawer, covered with a fine veneer of time-deposited dust, was my trusted old camera. SLR, not digi, and no they have not met yet! Sheesh, get on with your life, will ya?

Anyway, I decided I was going to load up the camera, go to Lakshmi road, shoot some street photos and enjoy myself. Have some wholesome, creative, beerless fun. And I am glad I did. With my camera, Gina and Senti in tow, I went to Lakshmi road, shot a whole roll of black and whites, and was back in two hours, thinking of what non-alcoholic activity to pursue next. Anyway, that is my problem, and I will sort it out, so many thanks for your concern. You, dear reader, enjoy the shot below for now.




sugarcane juicer

6 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Blogger Senthil said...

Hey, check the wheels out - the relative blurring of each successive wheel gives a nice impression of the gearing ratios! Fandoo!

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

I like it! (And, gotta admit, I was delighted by Senthil's observation). Reminds me of much the same -- I've got to pull out my own SLR, load up with B&W, and go shooting. Want to do it together someday?

My little digital is nice, but after some months using it, I miss the heft and controls of the SLR.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

Senthil, just when I think you have been in my company long enough to have become suave and sophisticated, you come up with sheer geekery. Blah!

Dilip, same goes for you, though you haven't really spent so much time with me. Photography together sounds like a good idea. The only remaining issue now is this distance of 180 kms. ;)

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

Anurag, I'm proud of geekery, so don't you forget it.

We'll work out the 180km distance soon. Really.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger gawker said...

You know, there's not a whole lot of difference between drinking beer and drinking sugarcane juice. Of course, assuming you actually drank any.

Sugarcane juice is one thing I miss from back home. For some reason dissolving a lot of sugar in water and then drinking it just doesn't feel the same as drinking sugarcane juice.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Dilip D'Souza said...

gawker: For some reason dissolving a lot of sugar in water and then drinking it just doesn't feel the same as drinking sugarcane juice.

Of course it doesn't feel the same! Here's a tip: next time, try dissolving a lot of sugarcane in water and then drinking it. Not just sugar.

Glad to be of help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home