Friday, March 02, 2007

Miles

It happened tonight! After a long time, I was able to sketch something which I felt like sharing. I came home after a long day, a long week, watched a little "American Idol" on the box but felt like doing something more fruitful with my time. So I booted my laptop to run Windows and started sketching. For a while I could not find anything to draw, so I ended up making numerous doodles which I did not save. Finally, I decided to draw a portrait, which is probably my favourite art form. After going through a lot of material looking for a good picture, I settled for two: the picture on the back of a Stevie Ray Vaughan CD (which totally kicks butt, though is very tough to draw, especially since I have not completely got used to the tablet) and the cover picture of Miles Davis playing on the album "Kind of Blue" (which, personally, I like better than "Bitches Brew" which I find too electronic). Anyway, we digress. I decided to give Miles a try. I first started with the pencil sketch mode, but that is better suited for pictures with sharp shadows and higher contrast. Then I tried charcoal mode, but could not get the feel for it. Finally, I decided to try the air brush mode and it worked wonders for this particular picture.

When I was in college, I used to borrow books about graphic art and design from the library to read and copy from during summer vacations. I think it was the summer of 1994 when I first came across an illustration done completely using an air brush and fell instantly in love with the concept. I tried getting my hands on an actual air brush many times after that but could not find anything which I like (or could afford at that time). That's why I was very pleased today to find that I could actually control and conceive the drawing very well using the air brush mode on the tablet.

Anyway, without further elaboration, here is my tribute to one of my favourite Jazz musicians. Dear readers, here's Miles:



As usual, comments and criticism are welcome. Let me know if you like the drawing, and let me know if you don't.

Good weekend to you all, except, of course, to those who owe me money (may you choke on a piece of chicken).

16 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger gawker said...

You're dogdamn talented. I wish I could draw. And cook.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Senthil said...

Goddamn! This is bloooody good!

Conversation, while three of us watched the pic load:

Matto: Anurag sketches, too?

Me: Yes, and watercolours as well.

Shrik: He's one of those well-rounded personalities.

Me: In fact, he's one of those horribly-rounded personalities who makes you feel inadequate.

Sigh

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger shrik said...

Like!

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groan. You just do this to make us all hate ourselves a little bit more, don't you?

Simply fabulouwesome!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Man! This sketch has received comments which made me so warm inside that I spent the entire weekend sipping chilled bear, sitting in my air-conditioned bed room, wearing flip-flops and bermudas. Thanks everyone for the praise. Now, on to individual scrutiny.

Gawker: Thanks. Maybe you should take up drawing illustrations of recipes, thereby fulfilling both your wishes?

Senthil: Surely you exaggerate. You should see me sing and dance. Gina describes my dancing moves as inspired by Forrest Gump.

Shrik: Thanks.

Megha: What are you saying? Like I said to Senthil, you should see me sing and dance. Then you will realize that drawing skills must have been granted to me by the maker to make up for something else. Thank you, nonetheless.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Mathangi said...

I repeat (with appropriate tone and enunciation this time around), "Anurag sketches, too???!!!!!!"

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Renovatio said...

Since you've been sipping chilled 'bear', I must elaborate on the three types of bears in the world...

One is the kind you sleep with, your 'teddy bear', the other is the kind you drink, in this case, the 'chilled beer', and the third is the one you just can't 'bear to live without'.

Amazing sketch!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Matto: Yes, I sketch, but in addition to what? Drinking lots of beer? :)

Renovatio: Man, are you a tough crowd! One slip and you crucify me. :) It was a tasty bear, though. Thanks for the praise.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger twip said...

I want chilled bear. Can I have some? Pretty please?

Oh and the picture is gorgeous. I cant draw for shit, so damn you.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Anurag said...

twip: Yes, I have a small fridge, so I have asked him to go sit in a pool. I'll let you know as soon as he is ready. Also, thanks for the compliment.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger haversack said...

anurag,this is brilliant! i am so glad you pointed me to your blog.
I'll be baaaaaack:)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Mayaavi said...

this is my first time here. Well worth the visit. I do a lot of these stuff too but on photoshop. And everytime i do a pencil sketch or something of that sort i wished i could draw too...And seeing some of these pics jus blows me out...Awesome work!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Anurag said...

Aparna: Thanks and welcome. I was going through my linked-in contacts and thought of writing to you.

Mayaavi: Welcome to you too. Also, thanks for the encouraging words. Will post something as soon as I have managed to meet the deadlines at work.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Ra.Ge said...

Incredible airbrush drawing Anurag.
How much did your Tablet cost you?

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger hideindisguise said...

awesome!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sameer Panchangam said...

Bloody Hell! You ask for criticisms on this???

This is Godly stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home