Wednesday, May 30, 2007

In the name of the father

One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I missed going to a U2 concert by two days. I landed in Ithaca, NY, two days after U2 had performed in Albany, which represents the same magnitude of tragedy as finding a wine bottle opener after your desperate drinking buddy has massacred the cork with a knife and pushed it inside the bottle. In short, I was very sad. Bono possesses one of the finest voices in the business and I am a big fan of early U2 work, before they went crazy and lost it. I am talking of stuff like I threw a brick out of the window from the album October which I personally think was one of their most energetic albums.

In 2000, I worked for a while at Evanston, a suburb of Chicago, and it was then that my sister visited me for a week with my niece. In India I did not have a TV, but in Evanston my apartment had a TV, a VCR and there was a Blockbuster close by -- it was a very potent combination and I ended up taking a membership there. In three months that I was there, I saw almost 40 movies, some of them which I had heard a lot about, had seen trailers of on TV during my college days, but had never got around to watching.

One day I remember renting out In the name of the father, because I am also a big fan of Daniel Day Lewis. My sister was trying to tuck my niece into bed, and I put on the movie. The opening credits started and my jaw dropped. I love the song (however, I later realized that the awesome voice was actually that of Gavin Friday, not Bono), and it was mixed with the credits very well. If you want, you can check it out yourself. I love everything about the song -- rhythm, guitaring, lyrics and the voices.






Also, I have been very busy with work of late, hence the infrequent posting. My friend Arjun, who studies business at Wharton (this line inserted just to prove that I knew him before he became famous), is in town and we have been hanging out a lot. Here's a pic from when he and Senthil came down to our apartment for an unplanned drinking session (I love them). We have also been having some planned drinking sessions (love them too), so all is well in life despite the excessive stress of work. Here's a pic of Senthil from that night (the person on left is Gina, and the mirror in the background is actually much prettier than it seems in the picture). Enjoy.


3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Ra.Ge said...

Love the mood in that picture.

I am not a fanatical fan on the same level, but I do like some of U2's earlier music too. And you are right about them going downhill lately.. wonder what's come over Bono

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

Really liked the song. Thanks.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing pic.
looks like a snap from a maniratnam movie


Soma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home