Monday, January 16, 2006

From John Abraham to Mahendra Dhoni

Many people accuse me of not trying to do much to prevent growing old. They are right! Even now, as I write this word and you read it, I am aging. However, age does not necessarily mean bad things. I mean, look at Bollywood heroes -- the more they age, the more ridiculous they get. If I can become so ignorant as them by the time I am their age as not to know left from right, or a black buck from a tree, I will have to consider myself a lucky man.

I digress. Again.

What I wanted to share with you loverly people (for those of you who think I mistyped, please go and watch the astonishing Jim Carrey in Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events) was the fact that I still got it. Yesterday, on January 15, 2006, I finished the second half marathon of my life. Exactly 365 days back, on January 16th, 2005, I ran the first half marathon of my life, at Mumbai. I finished the 21.1 km run in 2:02:57, which I was quite pleased with. At that time, I used to go much faster during practice sessions, but I blamed what I considered a sub par performance on humidity and temperature (last year the race started at 9:00 AM and temperature went up to 33 C towards the end). I saw no less than four people collapse during the run. I was happy enough to have finished in one go, without stopping and without collapsing.

This year I didn't expect to do much better. I had definitely not practised so much as last year. I had drank a whole lot more beer since then, and I felt like I was not so fit. However, I decided to just start running and finish without stopping. I decided not to worry about the time, and that anything in less than two hours was acceptable. So, I ran a flat race this year, reminding myself not to slow down continuously. I drank a lot of fluids during the run, and enjoyed the scene a whole lot more than last year. I took Gina's advice and carried a cap with me, which came in very handy on the back stretch when we hit Marine drive and the Sun beat down on us mercilessly. I listened to the crowd a lot more, waving to them when they called me John Abraham (I had washed my hair prior to the run and they looked rather nice, I must confess, though a little narcissistically) at the beginning of the race, and when they called me Dhoni (my hair were rough and tangled towards the end of the run, I must confess, a little abashedly) towards the end. I made a conscious effort not to look at people's watches on the back stretch. So, when I was running to the finish line and when I reached close enough that I could see the timing clock, I almost fell to the ground in astonishment when the clock read 1:52:11. My final time -- 1:52:17.

Still got it!

My legs didn't hurt at all after the race. After all, I have been walking on air.

PS. If Mahendra Dhoni happens to read this post, I would like to clarify that I have nothing against his looks, and I think he is quite well built and I am sure he is very attractive, but I would prefer my hair to be compared to John Abraham's.

PPS. If John Abraham happens to read this post, would he be kind enough to leave the name of the conditioner that he uses?

14 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me ask Bips, and get back to you.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger heretic said...

Whoa man! You've definitely got it. Damn, sub-2 hrs is a fantastic run. *Bows to the Mastah.

You, boss, have inspired me to get up tomorrow morning and *not* hit the snooze button. On that scale, I should get around to running in about 30 years from now.

PS: Parachute Narial Tel.Bips told me. :-))

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

WOW! Congrats to you! I'll let you know if I survive my first 10km run.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Vikram said...

you need a doc man.. 21 kms holy sunofabeach :D

ya work got to me.. posted now tho.. whatup

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger m. said...

you know, beer is supposed to be an excellent conditioner... so obviously more beer is called for.

:D

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The conditioner I use is a "Voltas". Used to have "Kelvinator" and I've tried "Toshiba", but I like "Voltas". The air comes out pretty cool and it doesn't make too much noise. Only problem, the neighbours downstairs keep complaining because water from the conditioner keeps dripping on them. I tell them, I'm John Abraham! What're you complaining about? I'll give you a ride on one of my bikes!

Wait a sec. Did you mean air conditioner? Or hair conditioner?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Gypsynan said...

totally cool. I am currently struggling to finish an hour on the tread mill.RESPECT

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger zap said...

1.52 hrs for a half marathon is great time! My best still remains 2.04 hrs.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow man, seriously, that's a gud record...for track that is. About the hair deal...dude, seriously, no one can have hair that is better or close to John Abraham's. There isn't anyone in this world...no arguments, please. He's got the best hair! I know, seen a lot of people copy his hairstyle, but they never quite succeed in doing so. :-( Anyway, don't worry about the hair conditioner...you use what you normally do...try gel...that'll work better, hopefully.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good site

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best site

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good site

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone will suffer pain at some point in their lives. Grim as this may sound, some pain is necessary - it is a signal of our brain that something is wrong in our body, what we need in order to protect our health and well-being. Pain relief medications will stop your pain.
Ponstel pain relief medication is used for treatment of menstrual pain. It can be used for the short-term (not more than 7 days), the treatment of pain from mild to moderate. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tramadol pain relief drug is used to relieve severe pain. It can also be used to treat pain caused by surgery and chronic conditions such as cancer or joint pain. Tramadol drug is sometimes prescribed for other uses; Offices You can address your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Tylenol medication is used to treat minor aches and pains due to headaches, muscle aches, backache, arthritis, the common cold, flu, sore teeth, menstrual cramps, and vaccinations, and to temporarily reduce fever.
Ultracet drug is combination medicines containing opioid analgesics (pedo - KOT-ik an al-zicks JEE), such as tramadol (TRA unemployed machine) and acetaminophen (one seat to a MIN-OH-fen), used to relieve pain. An opioid analgesics and acetaminophen used together can provide better pain relief than either drug used alone. In some cases, you can obtain relief with low doses of each drug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home